Tuesday, July 04, 2006

RYP, Asa, and Fireworks

I waited to update my blog because first off it was getting close to GFA's Renewing Your Passion conference and I had enough to keep track of. Secondly, once the conference was over I was too wiped out to think of things to write - and enjoyed reading what others had posted instead. I figured I'd combine "news" and ponderings in one post.
Renewing Your Passion 2006 is the second GFA conference we've had. While the number of attendees (including staff) varies, I'd say it was from 600-800 people all told. Last year it wasn't even 150. A lot of preparation and prayer went into this year - six months of preparation actually. It was strange that all that work was done and over with in three days. I helped with registration. It went very smoothly by God's grace, and He helped me get through that first afternoon in spite of the fact I felt very faint and weak for some reason. I was drinking water and snacking but it didn't wear off until I had dinner. After registration closed I helped a little with General Information. We had to be ready for all sorts of questions and issues. It was fun to help, and it was such a blessing to also have time to kinda rest and even get in on some of the sessions! GFA was an awesome blessing and gave the staff an extra day off after the conference to rest up. We needed it!
It was cool to hear some of the speakers, and I was very blessed (and challenged) to hear from one of our US leaders. He shared the devotion for the prayer meeting - and a couple things really stood out to me. One I'll mention here:
He shared from 2 Chron 14-16 about King Asa. Kind of an obscure king of Judah. I hadn't really paid much attention to the story. But the speaker underlined two things: Asa's loyalty to God and his fall when he failed to rely on God later in life. At one point early on Asa was faced with a massive army coming against him. Verse 11 of chpt 14 really hit home: "'...Lord, it is nothing for You to help, whether with many or with those who have no power; help us, O Lord our God, for we rest on You...'" Immediately I began to think about the need for staff at the home office and how we've been praying and paying a lot of attention to the need. I had some conversations with a couple people a while back and it became more clear to me that while yes, we do need staff, it should not become so all-consuming that we begin to believe we cannot do what God has asked us to do (and is moving us to do) without more people first. Yes, we need people. But doesn't God already know that? And isn't He moving and stretching our limits anyway? He's been faithful to answer and He is bringing more people, but our focus shouldn't be on how many people we have. It should rather be on trusting Him and saying with Asa, "Lord, it's nothing for you to help us...Whether we have a lot of people or just a handful of people who don't' know what they're doing."
Food for thought...
As to fireworks... dunno if we'll see 'em this year or not. For the first time it's not high on my priority list. My sister went to see some last night. Who knows, maybe we'll head to the mall, grab some limeades and watch tonight. Wonder if it'll rain...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I went to CC Chapel Plano's 4th of July outreach cookout for a couple hours and had a nice time! I actually decided to leave and get on home before the fireworks, but the Lord blessed me wiht getting to see some outside the Wal-mart parking lot on my way home. :-)

Nomad said...

:) Thanks for the update.