If you are looking for a good, clean and gripping movie to go see, I highly recommend Amazing Grace. No, it's not a "Christian" film (i.e. someone is always saved amidst sappy lines and bad acting). The link above sends you to the main site, which includes a trailer. The movie is about William Wilberforce and his push to end the slave trade in the British Empire. That's all I knew about it. The film does an excellent job of painting the political picture as well as portraying a very human Wilberforce. He struggled in his desire to serve God, and contemplated giving up politics altogether. He had struggles with health and eventual addiction to prescribed pain medication. He was slowly made to realize that he could serve God with his talents in politics. Specifically in ending the slave trade. Something I didn't know: John Newton (the writer of the song "Amazing Grace") was a mentor of Wilberforce. Another thing I didn't know: the middle of Wilberforce's drive to end the slave trade was during the French Revolution. That added a whole other dynamic. He was accused of sedition, and his seemingly fruitless efforts nearly drove him to despair. Of course, we know the end of the story. The slave trade was officially ended in the British Empire, nearly 20 years after Wilberforce first made his appeal to Parliament.
As I said, an excellent film. Go see it!
Rogue One: A Christmas Story
9 years ago
3 comments:
Nice post! I think I'll be seeing it sometime soon :D
i liked it a lot! very good movie. i liked the girl's hat when she got married too. hehe
Hi! I haven't seen this movie but it sounds pretty interesting! Another movie I've heard about that sounds thought-provoking and full of application is The Last Sin-Eater!
Post a Comment